Implications of helping

JUST BEING HELPFUL. As anyone who has been involved in start-ups and small companies knows, there are so many things to do. So many hats to wear. My problem is that I like to be of use, to be helpful. So, off I go doing things that I could never get hired to do - if that were the only function I was performing - and get the job done. Great for the company. Off we go.

CURIOSITY. One trait that I can not seem to shake is being curious. I love to nerd out. I did not discover this trait until after college - and describe myself to my daughter as a closet nerd. She's one too as it turns out. I end up spending time researching mechanisms, fundamentals, relationships, implications. It's so much fun! Taken into the context of long-term career development; however, it can be a problem.

NOT SUCKING. The problem here is not that being curious is fun for me. The problem lies with the fact that I do not suck at quite a number of things. Except for medicinal chemistry. I can pretty much reach 80% competency in a short period of time (say a year to two years). Consultants and/or those smarter than me fill in the other 20%. Put me into a start-up or small company situation and I can be valuable. In the middle of a large organization, this can be an undesirable trait unless my primary role is completely buttoned up at all times.

TRANSLATOR. So, having at least some focus, I put what I know into buckets - the chair(s) in which we all proverbially sit. I tend to sit in three chairs - technology, corporate, and intellectual property. I translate within and between the three very well. There are of course implications of the limitations of a technology on a company's strategy, and IP.

COLLECTIONS. If I am as curious and as prolific and investigating new topics as I say, you'd expect there would be a tranche of information lying about somewhere, not being terribly useful to anyone other than myself. I say all this now just as an explanation as to why I am putting my collections of references, materials, pieces, etc. up to share. It is not necessarily the one or two papers, or blog posts that will do it for you, but rather the collection of a number of them that allows us to see the pattern(s). Again, just trying to be helpful here.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts